Friday, July 20, 2018

Anne of Green Gables vs Anne with an E

Time for a new post again! 

I'm going to compare two adaptions of Lucy Maud Montgomery's books Anne of Green Gables.

I've recently watched Netflix's Anne with an E and I thought, why shouldn't I do a post about it. Comparing it to the 1985 version.


Let us start right now


Anne Shirley (Megan Follows vs Amy Beth McNulty)
The most important character from the books, which is obviously right? We all know Megan Follows very well (she's was the first Anne for me and no one could beat her) and she's pretty good as Anne Shirley. She's kind, a sweetheart and has the most generous heart and hates her red hair. I love red hair, it's scrumptious. :) 

And then in 2017 there was a girl who's name was Amy Beth McNulty and she was going to play Anne in the new serie Anne with an E. I was curious how this miniserie would be. So I start watching it in 2018, which was one year further and it was very good. Not as good as 1985, but they did a good job of it.

In the books Anne was a redhead, had freckels, was skinny and not very pretty. In the 1985 version Anne was quite pretty and I don't blame them for choosing Megan, because she makes the best Anne. But they did a very good job of making Anne in the 2017 version. I don't mean to be cruel, but Anne was ugly, skinny and had a lot of freckels. Sometimes I she was very annoying, but she did a very good job. 

Gilbert Blythe (Jonathan Crombie vs Lucas Jade Zumann)
 The guy who makes our heart melt.😉 Just kidding. I mean, he's cute, am I right? Okay..will stop now. How am I going to explain this all. I'm not so good with words when it comes to boys..hahaha..kidding. 

I think they did an marvelous job bringing the character Gilbert to live. Both actors are cute and they play Gilbert Blythe pretty good. Jonathan looks very old compared to Lucas, but I don't know what Gilbert's age was in the books. I'd say very young. So I say both actors did a good job playing Gilbert Blythe.

Just a minute before we move on. The scene where Anne and Gilbert first met and he called her carrots and there was a slate involved. That particular scene was different in both series. 
I laughed very hard when I watched the scene in the 2017 version. Not logic at all.. 1985 was very good and I loved that one more then the 2017 version. 

Just take a look...


Which one do you like the most? (mine is the 1985 one..zee BEST..)

Let's move on shall we?

Diana Barry (Schuyler Grant vs Dalila Bela)
About which Diana is better my opinion is very clear. Schuyler Grant is the best Diana, for sure..absolutely...no more words. Dalila did a good job playing Diana, she's cute.


The Cuthberts (Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth vs Geraldine James and R.H. Thomson)

You know who the best Cuthberts are...right?...the 1985 version Cuthberts is much better than the 2017 version. They look fake...not at all the Cuthberts...now that was very clear. 

Rachel Lynde (Patricia Hamilton vs Corrine Koslo)

Also as we are talking about Rachel I know who will win. Patricia did an marvelous job. Corrine is kinda weird as I say, din't like her as Rachel at all. She annoyed me mostly. 

2017: There are some characters which don't even exist in the books. Seriously..what..no.can't be true.It is. There is a guy named Bash and he travels with Gilbert to different lands. Did Gilbert even travel in the books? I didn't think so. And the Cuthberts hired a boy to help on the farm, because others they wouldn't make it. He's french.😦 The relationship between Anne's teacher and Prissy is kinda weird. Miss Stacy is weird too..Didn't like aunt Josephine. And the Cuthberts take in two men as boarders, who are seeking for possible gold in Avonlea. Like..whaatt..😳 There are flashbacks of Anne's youth with the Hammonds, which are creepy and dark. We even get to see flashbacks of the Cuthberts youth..you say what?...yep, it's true.

1985: The best version ever I've seen. I like the 2017 version too, however is kinda weird. But '85 wins this round. Even though Gilbert is cute in the 2017 version..😊











What's your favorite version of Anne of Green Gables? Did you ever watched Anne with an E? What do you think? 

~Rachel

3 comments:

  1. I haven't watched Anne with E but, but honestly I don't think I will. I am pretty loyal to the 1985 version, and considering my experience with Little Women (2018)...

    But I enjoyed reading your thoughts anyway, Rachel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely and amazing show to watch.
      I haven't watched the 2018 version of Little Women, but I want to though. So I can do a review about it and compare it to the 1994. See how that is turning out. :)

      Thank you for your comment Elanor!!

      Delete
  2. I looove that far left pic
    of the autumn leaves N that
    winding road... that reminds
    me of Seventh-Heaven, yet,
    it's a dirt, single trak withe
    Sonshining in the partially-cloudy-sky,
    bout 55 degrees, brisk, autumn air.
    Poifect riding weather with my Godspeed.
    Cya soon Upstairs, miss gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete