Sunday, July 24, 2016

Death Comes to Pemberley - A Review


I always wanted to review this movie, but I was too busy or I had other idea's to put on my blog.
We watched this sequel of Pride and Prejudice a couple months ago. It's based upon the book of P.D. James. 
The title sounds creepy, but the movie itself isn't really creepy. 
Anna Maxwell Martin as Bessy Higgins Elizabeth Bennet- I not a really huge fan of the actress Anna Maxwell Martin, I really don't like her, but I must admit she plays Elizabeth well. If I directed this movie, I would choose someone else for Elizabeth, put you know, I'm not the director. Anyway, not everything can be perfect. 
Matthew Rhys as Fitzwilliam Darcy- I have nothing against Matthew Rhys, I even liked him as Darcy. Well, I must say I rather have Matthew MacFayden as Mr Darcy. Colin Firth as Mr Darcy? I don't know yet, because I still have to look P & P 1995.
Rebecca Front as Mrs Bennet and James Fleet as Mr Bennet- What can I say? Mr Bennet is a real father for Elizabeth and helps her very much, while Mrs Bennet is worried and cares more for Lydia. They are kind and generous.
Jenna Coleman as Lydia Wickham- Jenna is perfect for Lydia, I wouldn't changed her for money. :) I always imagine myself in her, only I am not so bossy and selfish. Of course Lydia is kind and it's very sad that her beloved Wickham died. Well, he isn't really dead. 
Matthew Goode as Mr Wickham- Wait, is that Henry Talbot of Downton Abbey? Yes, it is him. I was suprised that Matthew Goode played the wicked Wickham. He is very good in his role as Wickham. I must say, he is much better than Rupert Friend's performance as Wickham. Matthew Goode doesn't play such a kind role here.  Poor Lydia.
Eleanor Tomlinson as Georgiana Darcy- How big Georgiana is now! I always saw her as a young girl, but she is older now. And she is changed a lot. This isn't P & P '05 Rachel. Georgiana is sweet and kind. And she fell in love with a gentlemen named Mr Henry Alveston. And Mr Darcy doesn't aprove Mr Alvestone. 

And at last we have Colonel Fitzwilliam, played by Tom Ward, who also plays in P & P '95 as Lt. Chamberlayne. I couldn't find a good picture of him, so no picture. He is kind and supports Mr Darcy a lot. Nothing to say about him.

I'm not fond of this movie, I wouldn't watch it over again. 

Did you know that they used Chatsworth House? Also known as Mr Darcy's house in P & P '05. How funny.
Oh, almost forgot. He a little bit of the story of the movie.

It is October, 1903, six years after the events in Pride and Prejudice which resulted in the marriage of Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet. One evening, on their way to Pemberley for a ball, an argument breaks out between George Wickham and Captain Denny in their carriage, with Wickham's wife, Lydia Bennet, also present. The two leave the carriage in anger and disappear into the woodland, where two gunshots are heard. Upon hearing the news, Darcy sents out a search party and Wickham is found distraught and hysterical holding Denny's body, blaming himself for his murder.

It sounds creepy isn't it? Well, sometimes it is. 

And there is a woman named...forgot her name, everyone thinks she is a ghost, but she isn't, I don't really understand that.  It is so weird.


It has been a really long time since we watched this movie. I can't remember me about that woman.
There is in Episode 3 a bedroom scene, you don't see so much, we skipped it quickly. 

What do you think about this movie?


 



4 comments:

  1. I was surprised at how much I really liked this movie. I can't believe that's Eleanor Thomlinson playing Georgiana! She's in another BBC show called Poldark; have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't yet, but I really want to look it. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a lovely movie, not my favorite though.

      Thank you! <3 <3

      Delete