Friday, July 29, 2016

War & Peace (2016) - A Review



I recently watched War & Peace with my family. I was really excited, because I love Period Dramas. But I was dissapointed. There are some reasons why I DON'T like this movie.

1. There are several bedroom scenes, you don't really see anything, but there is one we skipped. Why BBC? Why must there be such inappropraite scenes?!

2. The war scenes. It so gory, I really turned my head from the monitor. It's so scary, all those wounded soldiers with blood everywhere. I know that is war, but it is so scary. 

3. The kissing scenes. One kiss or two is alright, but several, ugh, I can't even think about it. Why must there be in every movie such kissing scenes. There are several movies where there aren't so much in it, like Pride and Prejudice. :)

But it's a very lovely movie

Oh, I really love Lily James here. She plays such a lovely, sweet and kind character. Sometimes she doesn't act so smart, but I really like her. Natasha is such a lovely name. :) I must admit that I watched this series just because Lily James played in it. And I watched it because there are really interested things about history. Lily plays the young woman Natasha Rostova, who is seeking for true love. She finds it, with Andrej Bolkonsky. Oh, there is something terrible to happen with him, *cries* I won't tell it, it's so sad. With terrible I mean sad. :) Poor Natasha. I already know with who she ends at the end of this serie, I'm really dissapointed.
James Norton played his role very good. Isn't he also playing in Granchester? He is married with Lise, but she did while giving birth to their first child. Oh, it's so heartbreaking. Poor Andrej. Well, luckly he finds a new love, Natasha Rostova! Hurray!! They are perfect for each other. And then they have to wait a year before they can marry. Why, oh why? Because of Andrej's stubborn father. And than he......dies. Oh no, I have said it. Never mind. Poor Natasha. I'm glad Andrej died happily. I sound cruel, isn't it?
Pierre annoyed me a lot. He is such a fool and soooooo boring. And dull. I just don't like him. Of course he means it well, but I can't like him, even not a litte bit. I must admit he helps Natasha a lot and Andrej. He encouraged Andrej to propose to Natasha. I sometimes wish they had chosen an other actor for this role. And he looks so......I don't know, I do not like his hair and those glasses!! But I must say Pierre has a good heart. And at the end he is very nice and has the courage to ask Natasha for her hand. 
Sonya is a dear and kind woman. I really like her. She is sweet, quiet and shy. She is in love with her nephew, Nikolai. Wait? Nephew? Yes, in the past days you just could marry with anyone you wanted, even your nephew or niece. Not you sister of brother of course. Anyway, later in the movie she breaks off her engagement with Nikolai. Poor Sonya, she still loves him, but he loves someone else.
Marya cries all time. She is the sister of Andrej and the second fiancee of Nikolai. Is she? I think she is. She sometimes annoyed me, because she always cries. In the beginning I never have seen her not crying. She isn't my favourite character. I rather see Sonya married with Nikolai dan Marya.  But I feel sorry for her, her father dies and her brother. That is a great loss.
Meet Nikolai Rostov, the brother of Natasha. He gives up his studies to go and fight in the war, leaving Sonya behind. He dreams of manly success and glory in the war, although these dreams are somewhat undermind after he falls and injured in a battle. Nikolai promised to marry with his niece Sonya, but later at the end of the serie, he rejects her and marries with Marya. Why? I really liked him and Sonya together. 
Héléne Kuragina is such a mean and wicked woman. She is married to Pierre. She is considered a great beauty, but I don't really think she is. I don't like her, I won't say I hate her, because hate is a cruel name. I feel sorry for her at the end of the serie. She dies.
I really don't like Fedor Dolokhov. I was suprised to see Tom Burke in the serie, he plays Fedor. I better like him as Athos in the BBC Musketeers. He is the friend of Nikolai and Pierre. He is so mean.

There are other characters, but I won't do them. It would be so long.

The music was so annoying, I didn't liked it. 

I really liked the costumes, especially the one of Natasha. :D

And the ball was really beautiful.

Well, what do you think about this serie? Have you ever seen it?










 

7 comments:

  1. I know some things about this I wouldn't like, but I still kinda want to see it. :-P (Also, I love James Norton.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely movie, it would be even lovelier if they didn't put those inappropriate scenes in it. Looking forward to your thoughts about this serie. :)

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite mini-series! I saw it because Lily James was in it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily James looks so beautiful in this! I really want to see it. Though I probably won't get to for a while because of those inappropriate scenes. Why must they put such things in?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very interesting, Rachel! Thanks for reviewing this. I've been wanting to hear more about this movie. Too bad there were some inappropriate scenes. It's so annoying when they do that! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, Miss March. It's very annoying, I totally agree with you. :( We skipped the parts.

      Delete